In the latest interview in our series we speak to a man who’s an integral part of the world dominating ElRow brand. After a few years of non stop meteoric rise to prominence in the industry across the world, De La Swing is now in his own right becoming a household name, with tracks gaining huge support from worldwide superstar DJs, he is fast joining the elite upper echelons of the scene.
- What is the story behind the name ?
Good question, but it’s not easy to answer, or simply put, its not easy for me to explain so you can understand.
- What is your background and how did you get into music?
My father is a musician, as well as my childhood friends, so my faith was written. But what really caught my attention was becoming a sound engineer and, after graduating, something awoke inside of me that wanted to make people dance. I guess one thing led to another, and I ended up becoming what I am today.
- Where are you based and how has your home country or town influenced your music & career?
My home city is Madrid, a perfect city to everything that’s related to music, where people love to party, going to concerts and wild things. That’s why it was perfect during my learning and technical education period. Now I live in Barcelona and this city has awoken my total interest for the electronic music. I live surrounded by great producers and artists from our scene. Is the perfect city to live. It’s my dream come true.
- What is the most important thing for people to see when visiting Barcelona?
Barcelona is such an active city, with hundreds of things to do. A good plan for the weekend would be to visit all Gaudi´s legacies, go to the beach, eat a good paella and pay elrow a visit hahahahaha.
- What is your production process and what are your key pieces of studio kit?
What I most like about my studio is how the room and my speakers fit together (I have DynAudio’s BM12a). The reference is good and balanced, great to the mixing process.
As far as my essential tools, Moog Sub37, Novation Bass Station II, the Fabfilter plugin bundle, Voxengo Span, an UAD Apollo 8 Quad soundcard, an Electron Heat and the last adding – which right now is one of my main tools – is the Softube Console 1 to make the final mixdowns.
- Do you have a certain sound in mind when you start each project? Are the Elrow events a big influence on your sound?
Normally I start the ideas when I travel. I have two ways of starting a project: If I want to send a demo to a label that I like, I analyze their style and I fuse it with mine. Or I start and idea from scratch, letting myself and my imagination fly. elrow events are not my main influence when producing, but they are in my mind when I’m selecting my playlists.
- What do you think has been the key moment or turning point for you career wise?
Basically, three factors have been key in my career: being elrow resident, as it is one of the biggest party that there are today; the great work my agent, Oscar Fernandez (from Cumac Bookings) has done; and my continuous presence in Ibiza clubs, as Space, Amnesia, Privilege, DC10 and Ushuaïa, that are the main outlets for the rest of the promoters.
- What’s your dream label to release on?
- What is the coolest gig you have ever played & why?
elrow at Dreambeach Villaricos Festival in 2016. It was a closing set when at the sunrise, in front of the sea, with more than 20.000 ravers loaded with energy and surrounded by friends. I will never forget that day.
- Tell us something people don’t know about you?
I have never been able to finish reading an entire book hahahahah
- What plans do you have with Elrow for the future ?
I want to keep being part of the team, helping in every way that I can in its functioning, as well as entertaining and making people dance. Definitely, that’s the part of my job that I enjoy the most.
- What do you have coming up in terms of releases and gigs?
I am very happy with the upcoming dates I have in the following months, as Easter Electric, elrow Town London, Street Parade, Sziget Fetial, my South American tour in September – 6 dates all over Argentina, Peru and Chile –.
- Who are your top producers to look out for at the minute ?
You can buy the Face To Face EP on ElRow Music >>> HERE