Mihai Popoviciu is a Romanian artist whose stripped back style has been a feature of many highly influential record labels. His career has already spanned well over a decade, and during that time he has released on the likes of Moan, Bar 25 Music, 8Bit and Diynamic amongst many others.
One of the labels he has often worked with is Steve Bug’s label Poker Flat Recordings, and he recently dropped his fifth solo EP on the imprint which is a two tracker titled “Understand”.
In the world of electronic music Romania has become synonymous with a post minimal style fusing atmospheric moods with slick percussion. Ambient textures and dance floor focused grooves with a strong jazz influence, is a sound championed by Mihai Popoviciu along with many others from the country such as Raresh and Rhadoo.
The tracks spacious sound and loopy structures allow for extended blends in DJ sets, and this allows for additional creativity when mixing records together. Often taking people on a journey with peaks and troughs of both energy and emotion, Mihai Popoviciu is master behind the decks.
We are honoured to have this exclusive mix recorded for us here at Him Self Her. Included in the track list is the title track from his new Poker Flat release which can be purchased from HERE.
1. NTFO – Fresh Cut (2020 Vision)
2. A_B Sides 009 – Strm (A_B Sides)
3. Alex Kid – Acid FM (Rawax)
4. Mihai Popoviciu – Last One (Unreleased)
5. Andrey Djackonda – On The Road (Black Sea Side Music)
6. Mihai Popoviciu – Understand (Poker Flat)
7. Wyro – 53 Percent (Cyclic Records)
8. Dubgrade – Nonversation (Toygun Remix) (Monocord)
9. Franck Roger – Vabre (Home Invasion)
10. Pavel Iudin – Throw (Raro Music)